Welcome to The Reduce Your Golf Handicap Blog - read my introduction

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gary Player To Say Farewell To Augusta.


Gary Player yesterday said he will play in this year's Masters for the 52nd and last time. The South African, now 73, and who has won three Green Jackets, in 1961, 1974 and 1978, will now retire from all four of golf's major championships.

Player has never missed a trip to Augusta since he made his debut in the tournament in 1957. He said last night "I've decided I would like to make this my last appearance. I've enjoyed it so much. We all have our favourite tournaments, but this has been the best organised one I have ever played in. This will be my last major championship that I will ever play on the regular tour."

However, Player said he will still participate on the seniors tour.

He credited his fitness for being able to play so long, but added that with the golf course playing so long, it was getting more and more difficult for him to get round. He said " I've managed to break 80 the last two years, but it's getting to a stage now where I don't know whether I can do that out here, it's so long and I'm getting weaker."

A pioneer of the modern game, he will be a loss to tournament golf for the quality of his game. He might not be missed quite as much for his self opinionated views, that regularly rubbed people up the wrong way!

0 comments:

 
Template Pyzam.com